This cheesy skillet rice dish doesn’t require hours standing over the stove, constantly stirring, the way traditional Italian recipes do, but the result is just as rich, satisfying but most of all – delicious. Adding tender chunks of white meat chicken and asparagus make it a balanced meal that’s ready in under one hour and only uses a single pan, so you won’t waste time on cleanup. Mushroom and roasted garlic flavors enhance the savory Parmesan cream sauce that coats every grain of rice in this Simple Creamy Chicken Risotto, and a sprinkling of fresh basil on top makes the meal really pop.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 can Condensed Cream of Mushroom
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup asparagus
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat half the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned and done. Remove the chicken from the skillet, cover and keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the remaining butter and heat until melted. Add the rice and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until the rice is lightly browned.
- Stir in the soup and broth and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Stir in the asparagus, 2 tablespoons basil and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is hot, stirring often. Season to taste. Sprinkle with the remaining basil and cheese before serving.
Enjoy – see you in the Kitchen!