This is my Husband’s favorite dish, he orders it every time we go out to a nice Italian restaurant. He was craving it tonight for ‘date night’ – but since we can’t go out to eat (thanks COVID-19) I decide to give this dish a try – now I will have to disclose that I’ve never had chicken piccata before. So this is the first time making and trying this dish and I adapted it from his mom’s recipe…….And today I’d like to present to you with my latest chicken favorite; juicy chicken breasts coated in a white wine lemon butter sauce and those irresistible briny capers.
The truth is that it’s not chicken that makes this amazing – it’s the combination of flavors in the sauce.
Chicken Piccata – you won’t believe how easy this recipe is! Perfect with a salad, garlic bread and/or your favorite side. I opted for a lemon parmesan asparagus this time around.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large lemon, sliced thinly (leave about 1/4 of the lemon intact for the juice)
- 1/4 cup jarred capers
- fresh parsley
- Cut the chicken breasts in half so that you have a total of four pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and pound them to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch or less. Place the flour in a bowl with some salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and the olive oil in a electric skillet (I found it was easier to control the heat) over medium high heat. Add the chicken and fry for a few minutes, flipping once. Both sides should be golden brown. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the wine to the skillet and let it get all sizzly so you can scrape browned bits off the bottom. Add the broth and lemon slices. Let the mixture reduce to half or less. Add the capers, butter, and any remaining juice you can get out of the lemon nubs. Arrange the chicken pieces back in the pan and sprinkle with fresh parsley. VOILA! Add with your favorite side; bread, salad, grilled veggies.
Enjoy – See you in the Kitchen!