Today’s Chicken with Creamy Tortellini and Sun-Dried Tomatoes is a recipe made with ingredients we always have on hand: a bag of dry tortellini (either fresh tortellini or frozen), a jar of sun-dried tomatoes, fresh garlic, shallots or onions, Parmesan cheese, heavy cream – and, of course, boneless chicken breasts, and fresh tomato sauce.
The prep for this Chicken Tortellini with Sun-Dried Tomatoes is quick and easy too! While the pasta cooks, sauté bite-sized pieces of chicken until golden brown in the flavorful oil from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes. Then make a creamy sauce with the rest of the ingredients and toss at all together to create one fantastic meal!
From start to finish, this Creamy Tortellini and Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes dinner will be on your table in about 40 minutes. (If you use fresh tortellini instead of frozen – it will take even less time!)
- 8 ounces dry cheese tortellini (or one pound fresh tortellini may be used)
- 2 tablespoons of the oil from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup shallots, cut into half circles
- 1½ tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1½ cups oil packed sun-dried tomatoes drained, coarsely chopped (about one 16-ounce jar)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Optional, croutons/breadcrumbs for topping
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and once boiling, add the teaspoon of kosher salt. Then add in the dry tortellini and cook to slightly less than al dente. (it will continue to bake in the oven)
- In a large skillet, add two tablespoons of the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar. Sauté garlic, shallots, tomatoes. Once hot, add chicken and brown on both sides. Do not cook through. Center should still be pink. Slide all contents from the pan onto a casserole dish including all liquid.
- In a casserole dish, add chicken, tortellini mix together. Top with cream and tomato sauce, stir again.
- Top with Parmesan and croutons (it’s a nice crunch, I promise).
- Bake at 350 degrees, for 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy – see you in the Kitchen!