Kick off summer vibes with crispy bread topped with lightly spiced crab, fresh tomatoes, and gooey cheese. Keep a close eye on the crab melts when they are under the broiler and pull the pan out of the oven just as the cheese is starting to brown.
Perfect for Lunch on the Lake, or Dinner on the Dock!
- 4 slices of your favorite bread; sourdough, kaiser roll, pretzel roll (yum), etc.
- 12 oz fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked over
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- hearty tbsp old bay seasoning
- 1 plum tomato, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 slices of your favorite cheese, used cheddar in this recipe
- Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Place bread on a wire rack on a baking sheet; broil until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove pan; set aside.
- Gently combine crabmeat, mayonnaise, cilantro, basil, salt, Old Bay in a large bowl.
- Spread crab mixture evenly over bread slices. Top evenly with cheese and tomato slices. Return pan to oven, and broil until cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, and serve immediately.
Enjoy – see you in the Kitchen!