Hello to all the lovers of enchiladas! The kind that are saucy, cheesy, filling, super versatile and easy to make! Also, the kind that are actually easy to make, with grill-charred veggies, lean protein, and cheese tucked into those warm, soft, salsa soaked tortillas.
These are enchiladas, yes, but mostly, this is a thing that you make to celebrate not only #TacoTuesday but also the fact that eating really good, cozy food can also mean eating lots of healthy vegetables.
- 6 soft corn tortillas
- 1 large white onion
- 2 peppers, (1 green/1 red) thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow corn kernels
- 3 oz of your favorite cheese
- 2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 plum tomato, roughly chopped
- Heat a large grill pan on medium-high. Slice the onion into thick rounds. Toss sliced onions and peppers with 1/2 Tbsp oil and pinch of salt and pepper. Grill until lightly charred. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with corn and cheese.
- In a separate sautè pan, brown the chicken until cooked through, season with paprika. Set aside.
- Spray a 9×11 casserole tray with cooking spray. Spread each tortilla with vegetable mixture, top with meat mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in the tray. Continue for other tortillas.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, make the pumpkin salsa. In a food processor blend cilantro, jalapeño, sugar, lime juice, and pumpkin seeds until mixture reaches a ‘pesto-like’ consistency.
- Top each enchilada with salsa and tomatoes, serve hot!
Enjoy – see you in the Kitchen!