Summer Bliss in a Bowl
SUPER EXCITED to eat a big bowl of fresh, summer vegetables loaded with a creamy, perfectly tangy, and just a little bit spicy jalapeño dressing.
Obsessed with the dressing doesn’t even begin to cover how much I love it but let’s not jump ahead of ourselves.
Now I don’t claim this to be an authentic falafel. Because it is BAKED so it’s a little healthier alternative to making a traditional falafel and I also didn’t use tahini dressing.
**Make sure your chickpeas are drained overnight before you prepare your falafel balls.
Also, I’m not saying it won’t take you a long time to chop up all your veggies and make a dressing from scratch and bake your falafels. But be reasonable with yourself. These things – delicious things take time. If you need a way to pass the time more enjoyably, I recommend pouring a glass of Aperol Spritz and putting on a good quarantine playlist on and bring your BLISS BOWL to life!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- Medium onion, roughly chopped
- Head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 3 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 egg
- Cook rice per package. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes with 1 Tbsp of oil and salt and pepper. Cook potatoes for 40 minutes at 425 degrees.
- On a second baking sheet, roast onions for 25 minutes.
- In a small pot, steam broccoli until tender about 25 minutes.
- Make the falafel, place roasted onions, garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice, spices, egg and a pinch of salt in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Use the mixture to form your falafel balls, place the balls on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Divide the rice among bowls/plate. Top with sweet potatoes, broccoli and falafel. Serve with jalapeño dressing (see below).
Spicy Jalapeño Dressing
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup water
Blend all ingredients until smooth and drizzle over the falafels.
Enjoy – see you in the Kitchen!