A skillet full of Mexican flavor, crispy wedges topped with Mexican Taco meat, peppers, avocado, sour cream and whatever else your heart desires! Smokey Mexican ‘Beef’ Wedges was a hit over here!
We are a huge fan of Mexican anything over here. Remember the Green Chicken Chilaquiles? Kinda like a Mexican Lasagna. So, when Taco Tuesday comes around, and we start craving something spicy – I start thinking what I could think of this week.
On this week’s trip to the grocery store – the store was out of those delicious Mexican sides; rice, beans, corn tortilla. So I had to improvise….Mexican fries? Mexican wedges??……well here we go……
Cut ’em up. Whack ’em in the oven. Let the oven do the job, while your fry up the most delicious Mexican tasting meat ever.
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium potatoes, washed (leave skin on)
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 pound ground meat, use whatever you like
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- can of diced green chilies
- Dash of Salt and pepper
To Serve (use what you like)
- 2 green onion/scallions, finely sliced
- bundle of cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Lime, quartered
- Tomato Salsa
- diced tomatoes
- yellow corn
- shredded cheese, cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella cheese, Mexican cheese blend, etc
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a baking sheet spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut each potato in half lengthways, then cut each half in half again.
- Combine paprika, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and olive oil in a zip-loc bag. Place wedges in bag and shake well until fully covered.
- Season with salt and bake for 45 minutes until tender and crisp.
While the wedges are baking, make your Taco meat:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the onion and red peppers – until onion is transparent. Add in the garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant
- Add the meat, paprika and cumin. Cook mixing all of the flavors together, until the meat is browned. Add in diced green chilies, season with salt and pepper.
- Once the wedges are done, spoon the meat over them and serve immediately with any of the following optional toppings: green onion/scallions, fresh cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, tomato salsa, avocado, tomatoes, cheese, etc.
Enjoy – See you in the Kitchen!