My love for classic ground beef tacos — you know, the kind with the signature seasoning pack, topped with sauté peppers, black beans, and bright-orange cheddar — runs deep. Reminds me of living at my parent’s house, eating tacos family style with my loved ones. Until recently, I didn’t think there was any way to top them. But then I took all the elements that make them so amazing and turned them into a weeknight casserole. Combining the cheesy beef and bean base laced with warm spices, and then is topped with all your favorite taco toppings!!
Like all the best casseroles, this one is a crowd-pleaser that comes with the promise of ease and, best of all, some serious versatility. There’s really no limit to all the ways you can serve it up. You can never go wrong with this recipe.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) can of yellow corn, drained
- 15 ounces tomato salsa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 freshly squeezed lime
- 6 12-inch flour tortillas, cut in half
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- Greek yogurt or sour cream, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through. Remove from skillet, set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, and heat until shimmering. Add the onion, pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Return the beef to the pan and stir in the beans. Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the salsa, corn.
- In a baking dish, layer half the tortillas on the bottom. Layer the beef mixture on top, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Begin layering the casserole again with the tortilla shells, then the beef mixture and finishing with the cheese
- Cover with foil and Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted and casserole is heated through, about 35 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with any of your favorite toppings: lettuce and tomato, and serve with Greek yogurt or sour cream. Make it your own!
Enjoy – see you in the Kitchen!