The best part about grilling is the ease with which a dish comes together. Just slap some of your favorites over the grates, steam your favorite veggies in some foil and let the smoke and char do all the work—that was the idea behind this simple squash recipe.
You can use any type of summer squash in this recipe that is your favorite; such as zucchini, crookneck, straightneck (yellow), etc. More colors make for a pretty dish, experts say ‘eat the rainbow’.
**Tip – whatever you choose, be sure to cut the squash into similar sizes to ensure an even cooking time.
Summer squash are squashes that are harvested when immature, while the rind is still tender and edible.
- 1 pound your favorite summer squash, washed and ends trimmed
- This recipe I used the popular; zucchini and yellow squash (straightneck)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Cut your squash on a cutting board, making little bite size cubes.
- Place the lemon juice in a medium bowl and whisk in the olive oil until combined. Season with salt and pepper, then add half of the dressing to the bowl of squash, season generously with salt and pepper again, toss to combine, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, your grill is heating up…..with whatever your main protein is.
- When the grill is ready, add squash to aluminum foil Cook the squash uncovered, turning occasionally, about 7 to 8 minutes total.
- Return the grilled squash to the large bowl, add the remaining half of the dressing, and toss until evenly coated. Let the squash cool until just warm or room temperature, about 15 minutes. Add the feta and mint and stir to combine. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
We combined this squash salad with some fish kabobs, but feel free to pair it with whatever you want!
Enjoy – See you in the Kitchen!