A dinner for when you don’t want to cook dinner. A sandwich for when you don’t want an actual sandwich. A salad for when you don’t want a salad but a little bit more. Comfort food when you want comfort food but still a little healthy. Start with your favorite lettuce—or, you know, whatever is in the fridge right now. Find the best bread you can, or what’s in your pantry right now. Choose your favorite cheese, anything will do!!
- 4 thick slices of your favorite bread
- 4 thick slices of your favorite cheese
- 4 thick slices of your favorite lunch meat (I wanted some protein, you can skip this step if you like)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grilled cheese
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons simple lemon salad dressing
- Bundle of your favorite lettuce
- Garnish salad with any of your favorite salad toppings
Set a nonstick skillet on the stove over medium heat. While the pan heats up, make two sandwiches with the bread and cheese. Brush the outside of the sandwiches with a small amount of olive oil, generously sprinkle all over with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
When the pan is hot, add the cheese sandwiches. Cover with a lid, and cook for about 3 minutes, pressing down every so often, until the bottoms are golden-brown. Flip, cover again, and cook for another 3 minutes or so, until golden-brown all over and the cheese is melty.
While the grilled cheeses are cooking, make your salad (anyway you like). Top with your favorite dressing. Divide the salad between two bowls or plates. Chop the grilled cheese into bite-sized pieces, then sprinkle these on top of the salad. Eat while ‘croutons’ are still warm.
Yummy comfort food – Enjoy!
See you in the Kitchen!