The Tail of Two Chilies
If you have read previous posts, you know that Peter and I lived alone for majority of the years we dated. A food staple in both of our lives was always a big bowl of Chili. Gave us comfort on a cold winter days, makes a lot – so it’s super easy to freeze, thaw, reheat and enjoy!
So when we merged our lives together – we brought with us our favorite Chili recipe.
One is Lean and Mean, the other is Hot and Spicy. Both delicious!
The recipes follow, these you can cook two different ways. One on the stove top or in a crockpot. Either way these will ‘cook’ throughout the entire day letting the flavors and ingredients marry each other. I’ll list both ways to cook them below.
2 pounds natural ground turkey
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 of each – red, green and yellow pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tbsp of garlic
1 can of green chilis (optional – I use it because it adds a little spice but it’s not super spicy)
1 can of red kidney beans (15 oz.)
1 can of black beans (15 oz.) You can use two of the same beans, I like to use different beans because I like ‘colors’ in my chili.
1 can of tomato sauce (26 oz.)
1 can of diced tomatoes (26 oz.)
2 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons of cumin
Directions: (This recipe I listed how to cook on a stovetop)
– Place oil in large deep pot on medium-high heat, sauté your onions, celery and garlic.
– Once garlic starts to brown and celery/onions are translucent add your meat and peppers.
– When the meat mixture is slightly cooked add in your spices.
– Stir well, then add tomatoes/sauce.
– Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
– Add beans with liquid, and continue cooking uncovered for 15 minutes.
Top with cheddar cheese, and/or serve with tortilla chips
Optional – if you desire to add sour cream, lime wedge, and/or cilantro its totally up to you. Making chili is great because you can adapt the flavors and spices to your liking.
Turkey Chili is a great source of lean protein, and is full of great vegetables which are beneficial to your health as well as the beans!!
2 pounds ground beef
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 cans of red kidney beans (15 oz. each)
1 tbsp of dry mustard
1/2 tsp of cayenne powder
1 tbsp of chili powder
1 can of crushed tomatoes (26 oz.)
Directions: (This recipe I am gonna list how to cook with a crockpot)
– Place oil in a large deep pan on medium-high heat, add meat and cook with onions, garlic and celery.
– Once meat mixture is cooked place into the slow cooker.
– Next add in your tomatoes and beans to the slow cooker.
– Add in your spices to the slow cooker and mix well.
– Either cook in crockpot on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW for 8-9 hours.
Top with cheddar cheese, cilantro, and/or serve with tortilla chips
Optional – if you desire to add sour cream and/or lime wedge its totally up to you.
Great classic Beef Chili Recipe.
As you can see both of these Chili recipes are super easy and classic. Chili is great because it can be adapted to any taste preference (ie – spicer, milder, etc.) Very inexpensive ingredients, majority of the time they are already in your cabinets.
Both recipes are a staple in our household as we go back and forth on which one we decide to make! Perfect for cold-weather comfort food.
Enjoy – see you in the Kitchen!
One thought on “Friendly Competition Among Lovers”